Economics: Project: International Corporation
Goal: Learn about other countries: their economies, population, people, geography, transportation, and communications.
You have just been hired in the international division of a multinational corporation that makes consumer goods; your job requires you to become an expert on other countries.
Your first assignment is to prepare a report on a country in Asia; choose ONE of the following countries: China, Taiwan, North Korea, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand or South Korea.
Your company is considering building a branch plant to produce a consumer good in this country. To get the facts, you hop on the Web and start with the CIA Factbook of information about all countries. Use this website: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/wfbExt/region_eas.html
After following the links to the latest Factbook, you want to collect the following information for your report. You must copy each of these questions and provide the answer in complete sentences.
You must explain all the facts and the vocabulary. If you use words that you do not understand you will not receive credit for the project. If you plagiarize this assignment you will receive no credit.
1) Where is the country located and what is its physical size? Is it larger or smaller than the United States? How much larger or smaller? Explain in at least 3 sentences. Underline your facts.
2) How many people live there? Since your company's product is sold to adults, how many adults live there? Explain in at least 2 sentences. Underline your facts.
3) Compare its climate to the climate in Los Angeles. Is it hotter? Is it dryer? What type of crops are grown there? Explain in at least 4 sentences. Underline your facts.
4) Is the government a democracy? If not, what type of government is it? Who is the current head of the government (write the name)? Explain in at least 6 sentences. Underline your facts.
5) What kind of an economy does it have (answer the questions below):
6) Is it mostly a market-based (capitalism) or centrally planned (communist) economy? What is a capitalist economy? What is a communist economy? Explain in at least 4 sentences. Underline your facts.
7) Is it a rich or poor country? What is the GDP per capita (look up what this means)? Compare this to the United States. What does “GDP” mean? Explain in at least 6 sentences. Underline your facts.
8) What is the unemployment rate? Is unemployment a problem in this country? Explain in at least 3 sentences. Underline your facts.
9) What are the major natural resources of the country? What are the major industries? Is there a connection between its natural resources and the products it makes? Explain in at least 6 sentences. Underline your facts.
10) What is the country's money called? How many dollars could you get for one of this country's unit of money? Explain in at least 2 sentences. Underline your facts.
11) If your company put a branch operation there, would it be satisfied with the communications system? Is their communication system modern or out of date? Do most people in the country have telephones or cell phones, for example? What about computers? Explain in at least 4 sentences. Underline your facts.
12) Describe the product or service you would be selling in this country. Why is this needed? Will you have any competition? How will you get people to know about and buy your product or service? Explain in at least 7 sentences. Underline your facts.
13) What challenges will your company have in establishing business in this country? Explain in at least 4 sentences. Underline your facts.
14) Search the web to find out more information about the country. End your report with a recommendation to your boss about building a new plant there. 10 sentences, using the facts you have found.
15) Make an advertisement of the new product or service that you will be offering in this country. Include a colored drawing. Use construction paper. See teacher.