Video Scopes Trial
1) In what city did the Scopes trial take place?
2) Was American optimistic or pessimistic after WWI?
3) Most famous book of
a) Beginnings of Life
b) Traces of Evolution
c) Origin of Species
4) Why were Christian fundamentalists against teaching evolution?
a) They thought it contradicted the Bible
b) They thought
c) They thought the world was older
5) What did the Butler Act do?
a) Outlawed teaching of evolution in the state
b) Outlawed teaching evolution in the nation
c) Outlawed public prayer
6) How old was Scopes at the time of the trial?
7) What was Scopes doing when he was asked to stand trial?
a) Studying biology
b) Playing tennis
c) Meeting students
8) How many people lived in
9) Mencken worked for which paper?
c) New York Times
10) Did Brians for or against evolution?
11) Clarence Daro became a congressman in 1896?
12) How much was Daro paid to defend Scopes?
13) What amendment did the ACLU focus on during the trial?
14) What radio station transmitted the trial?
15) How many women were summoned to jury service?
16) How were the jurors selected?
a) Chosen by judge
b) Names pulled out of a hat
c) Chosen by lawyers
17) How did Judge Ralston feel about press criticism?
a) Did not care
b) Thin skinned
18) How many witnesses did the prosecution call?
19) On day 5 of trial was the jury present?
20) Why was the trial moved outside?
a) The press could not fit
b) Heat and weak floor
c) The radio transmitter could not fit inside
21) How many hours of evidence did the Jury hear in all?
a) 22 hours
b) 12 hours
c) 2 hours
22) How long did the jury deliberate?
a) 45 minutes
b) 4 hours
c) 9 minutes
23) What did the TN Supreme Court say about the conviction of Scopes?
a) Supported it
b) Overturned it
24) What year did Scopes die?
25) Did Dayton make lots of money from the trial?