1) In the age of cotton what percentage of southerners lived in bondage?
2) What was the title of the first slave narrative?
a) Uncle Tomís Cabin
b) My life as a Slave
c) Incidents in the life of a Slave Woman
3) In what year was Harriet born?
4) How old was Harriet when she became a house slave?
5) What did Harriet say about beauty?
a) That it was a gift
b) That it was a curse
c) That it was not necessary
6) What did the master want from Harriet?
a) Her love
b) More work
c) A sexual relationship
7) How many slave children did the doctor have?
8) What did the judges during this time say about rape of black women?
a) It could be prosecuted
b) It was always the fault of the black woman
c) There is no such thing as rape of a black woman
9) Did the doctor who was harassing Harriet go to church?
10) At what age did Harriet take on a white lover, thinking that he would free her?
11) Why did white slave holders want to expose their slaves to Christianity?
a) So they would learn from the Bible stories, especially how the Jews escaped from their masters
b) So that they would obey their masters, as they would obey Godís will
c) So they would no longer
12) How many whites were killed during the slave uprising of Nat Turner?
13) After the rebellion what did the southern whites do?
b) Gave slaves more rights
14) How old was Harriet when she gave birth to her 2nd child?
15) What does Harriet do, in order to free her children?
a) She gives herself to the doctor
b) She kidnaps her children
c) She flees
16) Where did Harriet hide?
a) At her loverís house
b) In the roof of her grandmotherís house
17) What happened to Harrietís children?
a) They were sold off as
b) They were bought and sent to her grandmotherís house
c) They escaped and went to
18) In what year was the
19) The cotton gin increased the amount of cotton a slave could produce in a day by
a) 50 fold
b) 100 fold
c) 200 fold
20) In 1808 congress abolished the importation of slaves from
21) Were slave auctions legal in the nationís capitol?
22) The Missouri Compromise took place in
23) What becomes the key crop in the nation during this time, about 1840?
24) Due to the value of slaves, what did slave traders begin to do?
a) Return to
b) Buy slaves from
c) Kidnap free black men from the north
25) At what age was Solomon Norfork sold?
26) Was Mrs. McGee kind or mean to Lewis Hughes?
27) How many pounds of cotton did the slaves have to pick per day, at the plantation where Lewis was?
28) Northerners made no profits from slavery.
29) What happened to Lewis Hughes when he fled at 20 years old?
a) He got all the way to
b) He settled in
c) He got caught and was whipped
30) When Harrietís hideout was discovered, what did she do?
a) She escaped on a ship
b) She found another hide out
c) She moved in with her lover
31) What was the first city Harriet went to when she left the ship?
32) Harriet never found her brother.
33) In 1849 where did Harriet move?
34) In the compromise of 1850 the Fugitive Slave Law stated that the accused
a) Could appeal to the highest court
b) Had no right to a lawyer
c) Was innocent until proven guilty
35) What happened to the twins born of Lewis Hughes and Matilda?
a) They were raised by their master
b) They were sold
c) Died after 6 months
36) In 1857 the Supreme Court ruled that Congress had no right to
a) Permit slavery
b) Limit slavery
37) What did Sen. Preston, who supported slavery, do?
a) Organized a protest
b) Beat another senator, who was against slavery, on the senate floor
c) Left the
38) Did the southern states
support or oppose the election of
39) Did Harried Jacobs ever see her children again?