Wall Street Video
1) How many millions of dollars change hands every minute on the stock exchange?
2) What is a “share of stock”?
a) A position of leadership in a company
b) A piece of ownership of a company
c) The board of directors in a company
3) What percent of American families own stock?
4) In ancient
a) Investing in the building of the acropolis
b) Funding foreign armies
c) Investing in the profits of a ship
7) How did Wall Street get its name?
a) The first bank there was called Wall Street Bank
b) Pilgrims built a wall to keep out Indians
c) A man named Wall was the first to build there
8) How many companies were traded inside the first indoors stock exchange?
9) On Wall Street bulls were traders who thought the market would
10) What did the “witch of Wall Street” invest in to become rich?
11) How much money did she have?
a) 50 million dollars
b) 75 million dollars
c) 100 million dollars
12) What was the “short sale”?
a) Buy stocks fast then sell them the next day to those who didn’t know better
b) Buy stocks, drive price down, sell them back to original owner
c) Sell stocks while the price was still high
13) American Stock Exchange was formed in
14) WWI closed Stock Market for
15) What permitted NY to become the central Stock Exchange?
b) Ticker tape machines
16) In the Dow Jones Average in the Wall Street Journal, how many stocks were featured?
17) J.P. Morgan was
a) Head of Dupont Packaging Company
b) Power behind the President
c) King of corporate mergers
18) Did Morgan support or oppose child labor?
19) In what year did the bomb go off in front of Morgan’s building?
20) 1924-1929 Dow Jones Average shot up
b) 200 %
21) Buying stock “on margin” means
a) Buying stock for more than it is worth
b) Buying on credit
c) Buying future stock that is not yet offered
22) October of what year did disaster strike Wall Street when brokers called their margins in, calling for cash?
23) What was the problem?
a) Everyone wanted to sell, no one wanted to buy
b) Everyone wanted to buy, no one wanted to sell
c) No one wanted to sell or buy
24) Whitney bought how much stock in a few minutes?
a) $20 million
b) $30 million
c) $40 million
25) How long did the downward spiral of the market continue?
a) 2 years
b) 3 years
c) 4 years
26) How much money in investments was wiped out?
a) $72 billion
b) $39 billion
c) $48 billion
27) In what year was Rosevelt elected president?
28) Was Richard Witney for or against
29) What did WWII bring to Wall Street Stock Exchange?
30) After WWII what did Meryll Lynch offer?
a) Tax preparers for everyone
b) Investment classes for women
c) Mutual funds
31) In 1954 the Dow Jones broke
32) What does a “diversified portfolio” mean?
a) Investing in many types of stocks instead of just one
b) Investing in Railroad stock, which was doing so well
c) Investing only in top companies
33) In what year did the paper crunch start a crisis?
34) The dark side of computers is what?
a) Dow Jones Average plunged too rapidly
b) There were no humans to catch mistakes
c) The Market crashed again
35) How is Nasdec different from Wall Street?
a) Wall Street uses computers, with no face to face transactions
b) Nazdec uses computers, not face to face transactions